As designers, we have a powerful role in shaping the world around us. That’s why it’s so important for us to work with empathy.
And while it can seem mysterious or magical, empathy is more like a muscle. That’s why anyone, including you, can train and develop it!
Workshop: MDD Intro 2021 – Creative Empathy for Humanity
Master Digital Design Intro Week 2021
30 August 2021, Amsterdam NL
We’re going old-school for this one: no screens or slides. We’re starting with the core concepts of Creative Empathy. Then we’re doing empathy exercises from mindfulness and acting, together.
We close with a discussion on design ethics and how empathy fosters human connection.
- Kouprie & Sleeswijk Visser, F (2009) A framework for empathy in design
- Why startups fail, according to their founders, Fortune, 2014
- Using Plutchik’s Wheel of Emotions to improve the evaluation of sources, classtools.net
- María Elena López Reyes on ResearchGate.net
- Wina Smeenk, et al (2018) A systematic validation of the Empathic Handover approach guided by five factors that foster empathy in design
Creative Empathy is a toolkit for connecting with people’s deepest needs in any creative project.