Whether we’re writing a play, designing a product, or building a business, The Creative Empathy Field Guide is your practical toolkit for applying empathy to any creative process.
The greatest innovations address our deepest needs. And creative empathy is our key to discovering them. So while empathy seems like magic, it’s more like a muscle. That’s why anyone, including you, can train and develop it!
The Creative Empathy Field Guide examines core concepts and covers practical techniques to facilitate empathy in ourselves and teams. Also, it features real-life examples and strategies to avoid common empathy pitfalls.
“The book was incredible in exploring new dimensions of empathy and how it affects those working on innovation and technology when designing new tools / solutions for the public.”
United Nations Technology Innovation Labs
“I’ve really enjoyed digging through the information – the imagery and layout is just so accessible. I look forward to keeping it beside me to refer to for many years to come!”
Australian Dept. of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
Get The Creative Empathy Field Guide
The book is available as an e-book via Bookboon.
We have a limited supply of paperback copies. So if you’d like one, just send Brian a message.
Table of Contents
Part One: Creative Empathy & Its Benefits
- Chapter 1: Understanding Human Experience
- Chapter 2: Product-Market Fit
- Chapter 3: Sustainable Innovation
Part Two: How Creative Empathy Works
- Chapter 4: The Empathic Design Process
- Chapter 5: The Eindhoven Empathy Model
Part Three: Increasing Empathic Ability
- Chapter 6: Develop Your Emotional Vocabulary
- Chapter 7: Practice Mindfulness
- Chapter 8: Train as An Actor
- Chapter 9: Experience Life Fully
Part Four: Increasing Proximity
- Chapter 10: Get Out of The Office
- Chapter 11: Simulate People’s Context
- Chapter 12: Eat Your Own Dog Food
- Chapter 13: Play the Role
- Chapter 14: Become Your Customer
Part Five: Creative Empathy for Teams
- Chapter 15: Nurture Psychological Safety
- Chapter 16: Create Relatable Characters
- Chapter 17: Tell Compelling Stories
- Chapter 18: Include Your Team
- Chapter 19: Hire Your Customer
Part Six: Final Thoughts
- Chapter 20: Empathy Pitfalls and How to Avoid Them
- Chapter 21: Go Forth and Create
Creative Empathy is a toolkit for connecting with people’s deepest needs in any creative project.