Behavioral Design for Sustainable Habits
The biggest make-or-break factor for innovation is human behavior. And the most meaningful innovations empower people to create sustainable habits that improve their lives. This talk covers a simple empathy tool for understanding what drives people’s behavior, as well as a design framework for creating habit-forming technology. We’ll discuss examples of these techniques in action and how to use them in helpful, not harmful ways.
How to Design for Sustainable Habits
Tech innovations often succeed or fail because of human behavior. In this workshop, we’ll practice actionable techniques for designing habit-forming technology. After a brief introduction, we’ll cover a simple empathy techniques to “get into” the heads and hearts of the people for whom you’re designing. Then, we’ll discuss a behavioral design framework for creating (digital) products & services that empower people to form sustainable habits. We can apply these techniques to whatever product you’re working on now, and you’ll receive free tools to take these techniques with you.
- Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products – Nir Eyal
- Ethical Design Manifesto – Ind.ie
- Calm Technology – Amber Case
- Webs of Influence – Nathalie Nahaï
- Thinking Fast and Slow – Daniel Kahneman
- Emotional Design – Don Norman
- Seductive Interaction Design – Stephen P. Anderson
- Switch – Chip and Dan Heath