Empathy for design helps us understand people’s emotions and helps us create things that people fall in love with.
Guest Lecture for Tilburg University
Introductory lecture to New Media Design, for graduating Bachelor students
In this workshop, we discuss why empathy is important and practice techniques you can use immediately to help yourself and others feel empathy.
- Kouprie & Sleeswijk Visser (2009) A framework for empathy in design
- Sleeswijk Visser, et al (2005) Contextmapping: experiences from practice
- Brené Brown on Empathy, RSA on YouTube
- The Ladder of Sustainable Engagement, uxdesign.cc
- Why startups fail, according to their founders, Fortune, 2014
- Explaining UX Design to High Schoolers, Theresa Brazen
- Using Plutchik’s Wheel of Emotions to improve the evaluation of sources, classtools.net
- How Blind People Use The ATM, YouTube
- Virtual reality is no match for the empathetic generation, The Guardian
- The Los Angeles Method (inspired the Character Map Canvas)
Special thanks to Hester Bruikman!