A Design Framework for Sustainable Engagement
When we create something, we start a relationship with whomever uses it. As the ones starting these relationships, it's our responsibility (and in our best interests) to make them healthy ones.
Design is about relationships, so designing for sustainable engagement is designing for healthy relationships.
Healthy Relationships are Meaningful, Balanced, Emotional, and Lasting
A healthy relationship helps everyone involved in some meaningful way. The rhythm feels fluid, natural, and balanced. Interaction is personal, because participants listen actively and respond with emotion to each other. And the benefit endures, growing deeper over time.
These hallmarks of a healthy relationship are also the four key attributes of a sticky, i.e. sustainably engaging, product or service.
The Ladder of Sustainable Engagement is a framework for crafting products & services that provide meaningful value, have a balanced rhythm, embody an emotional personality, and endure over time.
Here are the slides from my talk at @AmsterdamUX.
Subscribe for a Discount
Subscribe now for a discount when the online course is ready for purchase!
- My original post on uxdesign.cc
- Kouprie & Sleeswijk Visser, F (2009) A framework for empathy in design: stepping into and out of the user’s life. Journal of Engineering Design 20(5) 437-448
- The Lean Startup - Eric Ries
- Emotional Toolbox Character Map - Laurie Hutzler
- Empathy: The Human Connection to Patient Care - Cleveland Clinic
- Replacing Personas with Characters - Alan Klement
Special thanks to Hester Bruikman!